Update3: We’re back to our own hosting.
Update: Due to high traffic the demo page might load very slowly. Please have patience.
In the last weeks, I’ve been using my so very little spare time to create a spreadsheet widget based on dojo.
Click here for a demo of the spreadsheet widget. It is based on release 0.3.1 of dojo toolkit. Dojo is an excellent framework. Scores 3rd in this Ajaxian survey. The first two: Prototype and Scriptaculous are lightweight frameworks and certainly don’t offer as much functionality as Dojo. If you make a top of the “heavy” js frameworks, Dojo will definitely take 1st place.
So here’s a status of the widget:
- Based on Toolbar and TabContainer widgets
- Keyboard cell navigation
- Column, row resizing
- Cell, column and row selection
- Cell formatting (font, font size, bold, italic, underline, color, background color)
- Sheet management (rename, delete, new)
- Functions (22 math functions, 6 string functions)
- This widget is definitely not final and has several bugs
- Tested with Firefox and IE only
- On IE runs slower than Firefox
- If it would be released as an independent piece of software it would be labelled as 0.7 version
Goals for “1.0” version:
- Fix all remaining bugs related to column, row resizing and selection
- Support cell presentation format (dates could be displayed as mm-dd-yyyy, numbers as xx.xx, etc)
- Support for date functions
- Post spreadsheet data in JSON format to be saved serverside
- Improve validation