Some languages (like Romanian) have special characters (diacritics, often called accent marks). It’s generally useful to remove diacritic marks from characters, for example when you create an index with Solr.
If you wanted to set the default value using hibernate annotations, you’ve probably had some difficulties, as it was the case for me. Some posts on the web talk about default values to the members of the Java class.
I’ve been meaning to write these thoughts for a long time. I have been using Dojo from version 0.2.x (almost two years) and I have promoted Dojo in all the projects I’ve been involved. Long story short – I was and still am – a huge fan of Dojo.
How to set the default charset to utf-8 for create table when using hibernate with java persistence annotations
Yesterday I encountered a problem when trying to persist a String value into a MySQL column of type ‘text’ (the problem also occurs for column types ‘tinytext’, ‘mediumtext’ etc.)
Spent quite a bit of time investigating an “IE bug”. What happened: a particular AJAX request would work fine in Firefox but nothing would happen in IE6. Obvious steps were to monitor request and response (all fine), JS imports in files (all fine).
I found out today that MS Sql server seems to handle Unicode in a very special way. Instead of having some support a database or table level, each Unicode column have to be created as “national”. That is be either nchar, nvarchar or ntext.
The natural sort order for String fields is 0-9 A-Z so it seems a custom sorter is needed. I guess this is a normal request for any application that does a little sorting so I am surprised nothing came up during a search.
I thought of sharing with you this little problem that I encountered when using a TreeSet to display an ordered list of items
Changes in Hibernate Search are quite frequent, as it is in continued development. Today I found myself looking into a problem generated by migration from Hibernate-Lucene integration in 3.2.1.GA to the new Hibernate Search 3.0.0.Beta1.
I’ve been bugged by this problem for some time now, so I decided to investigate a bit. The error shows up when tomcat is trying to reload the web application.
I recently stumbled across a NotSerializableException in the project I was working, and I decided to share this experience with you because the cause of the problem it’s quite interesting and some of you might come across the same problem.